The castle (currently a prison) is situated at Zamkowa Street. The building stands within the area of a former peninsula to the north-east of the Old Town.
The castle was erected in the thirteenth century by the family of von Everstein. The building, which currently serves as a prison, is surrounded by 150 x 80 m wall. The buildings include mainly nineteenth-century constructions, some buildings which date back to the Middle Ages and some from the sixteenth century. In the courtyard there are fragments of well-preserved cobbled surface. To the south and east of the courtyard there is a moat. The castle was built among residential and farm buildings. The fairground was surrounded by a moat and an embankment with a palisade. The castle was converted on numerous occasions according to German standards. It had its glory days during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. On the fairground there were: a bakery, a brewery, a forge, a stable, a garden with stone benches and a vegetable garden. At the end of the eighteenth century the castle was converted into a prison and an educational facility. From that moment on, the castle served as a prison, an educational facility for juvenile delinquents and a heavy prison. Until 1945 the building served as a prison for juvenile delinquents, and after 1956 it started to be used as a prison. At the time the castle and the adjacent buildings were converted and they had their historical character changed. The pitched roofs were converted into a flat one. The church was converted into a workshop. In 1989, as a result of a prison riot and a consequent fire which broke out in the building, the remains of historical buildings were destroyed. The greatest loss was the destruction of the sixteenth-century casamates.