The chapel is located in the southern part of Pyrzyce, within the town walls, at the corner of
Zabytkowa and 1 Maja Streets.
The Holy Spirit chapel was most likely built in the 13th century. From the beginning it was
used exclusively by the hospital of the same name. Domus Pauperum Hospitalis served as a
shelter for the poor, ill, and old. It can be easily considered the first municipal welfare
institution. The chapel was rebuilt in the 15th, 18th, and 19th centuries, which is proven by a
bricked-up portal and window openings. During the military operations in 1945, it was
completely destroyed. The chapel was rebuilt in the years 1967-1969, intended to be a library.
The Gothic single-nave building was built on a rectangular plan from stone finished with
brick. The chapel was covered with a pitched roof with ceramic tiles. In the northern façade,
facing Zabytkowa Street, there is a frieze made of rosettes and a Gothic portal. Above the
portal, there is a relief depicting animals.
Currently, the chapel houses the Department of Tradition – “Muzeum Ziemi Pyrzyckiej” [the
Museum of Pyrzyce Region] – a branch of the Public Library of Pyrzyce. The branch gathers
and exhibits the collections connected with the history of the Pyrzyce region from the Stone
Age to the present day. Visitors will find there archaeological findings, antique coins,
household appliances, documents, and postcards.